Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Watertight

I bought some more poly yesterday and filled in the holes in the ends of the "greentent". It started to rain while I was working, and, amazingly, even though there is a seam right in the middle, with no continuous run of tape, it wasn't leaking inside! It was cozy and rather watertight! I plan to reinforce the top with another strip of plastic, and then it won't leak for sure. Unless it just blows away (still a possibility.) I was distressed to see a warning on the bag that the poly came in - that it shouldn't be used in the sun. Why was *this* not mentioned in any of the "build your own greenhouse" sites?
We are promised some decent weather later this week, so I plan to move everything into the greentent this afternoon when I get home from work. I want to make a high shelf at the north side, and a low one at the south. They're calling for frost again tonight, but inside the greentent things should be safe.
Strawberries, tatties, and all the other started plants - I'll probably leave the ones in the mini greenhouse right inside the greentent until things stabilize.
I was shocked to see on Robin McKinley's blog that she was expecting frost last night in the UK. Whatever is going on? Can it be the Icelandic ash again?

No comments: