Tuesday, November 11, 2014

It's bulb planting time.

Went to the Veseys warehouse sale last week. All bulbs were $2 per bag (except the really big ones, which were $4), and there were perennials (also $2) too. I spent $44, so now I have a huge task ahead, to get them all in before the ground freezes.
Some of the perennials are pretty spectacular: Peonies "Santa Fe", "Barrington Belle", and "Callie's Memory", Iris, petrovska, papaver "Harlem", as well as bulbs alliums, fritillaries, crocus, daffodils and tulips. I'm leaving the tulips until the end.
A gardening friend had told me about the sale, but I didn't really believe how amazingly cheap everything would be, so I didn't plan ahead and prepare planting areas. Suffering for that now, but next spring should be spectacular if even half of the things survive. And next year, I shall be prepared.

No comments: